Subject: Re: Suggestion for creating a third part in the pkgsrc guide
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/11/2006 08:43:51
Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org> writes:

> Does this split make more sense?  I personally find it a little hard
> to go through all of the current "developer's guide" to figure out how
> to use a framework, and when I'm documenting, I'm torn between clearly
> documenting the interface and delving into how things are done.
> Having a split between "maintainer" and "developer" portions would
> make it a little easier to file away different blobs of information.

This does make sense, but I think it will force us to be a bit more
hard core about what's an exported interface for packagers and what's
an internal implementation detail.   I've found that over the last few
years pkgsrc has gotten much much better about this, but that I still
need to read and grasp infrastructure implementation files from time
to time (even though I'm trying to make packages).

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>