Subject: Re: Selectively DISabling bin-install ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/26/2006 12:48:53
Todd Vierling wrote:
> I would tend to agree with this:  if PKG_OPTIONS.<name> is nonempty,
> build from source; otherwise use a binpkg.  Note that <name> is
> defined by the package Makefile and doesn't come from PKGNAME, so it

I think for my immediate porpoises I'm going to try to hack up
something in mk.conf that asks whether PKG_OPTIONS_VAR is defined,
if so whether the named var has a nonempty value, and if so does
something.

One possibility for 'something' is to make bin-install the same
as install.

Another possibility is to poison BINPKG_SITES, which will cause
bin-install to fail unless there is a locally-cached package, and
of course if it fails it will revert to 'package' and create said
locally-cached package.

If I get something to work reasonably well, I'll propose it (though
a polished version would probably not simply check if the options
var is nonempty, but whether it differs from PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS
modulo order of options, a bit of a trickier test).

-Chap