Subject: Re: patch to update www/sarg to 2.1
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@intostroy.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/25/2006 12:27:58
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:59:09 -0700 Ben Collver wrote:

> Attached is a patch to update www/sarg to version 2.1.  I've tested the
> build on amd64, but have not configured the software yet.

Many thanks for paying attention to SARG. (Oh, at least somebody who
used this pile of software too :-)

I should note the wip/sarg package, which is in version 2.0.9 now. I'm
using 2.x version about a year, but package still not finished :-/

Here is a small comparison of {www,wip}/sarg packages:

- I see you're patching configure script in addition to configure.in.
wip/sarg adds AUTOCONF_REQD to the Makefile. A really don't know which
way is better.

- Next, SARG can be compiled without GD support using options framework.
In this case you need no dependencies, which may be useful in some
cases. wip/sarg implements this.

- You asses languages files as configs, when I found that modifying
them as configs is pity because any future sarg version may break your
translation by incorrect referers to this unnumbered array. It's much
better to sent your modifications back to sarg project. wip/sarg uses
this way.

- You installing sarg with its own Makefile (which is more correct),
when I'm using local installation rules (mostly because of being NetBSD
hierarchy conformant without lot of sarg makefiles modifications).

So if you could take a look to wip/sarg (instead of old www/sarg) it
would be really nice. Please feel free made any modifications yourself
(hey, it is a WIP).

Thanks!

--
Mishka.