Subject: Re: pkglint complaining about USE_NCURSES
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/25/2006 00:05:55
Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 04:03:00PM +0200, Georg Schwarz wrote:
>
>>When I run pkglint 4.60 against www/lynx it complains:
>>
>>WARN: options.mk:35: USE_NCURSES should be set to YES or yes.
>>0 errors and 1 warnings found.
>>
>>www/lynx has in options.mk
>>
>>USE_NCURSES=         color
>>
>>It that syntax incorrect, or is pkglint wrong to complain?
>

> the syntax is against established practice and the pkglint complaint is
> also wrong.
>
> USE_NCURSES should be either [Nn][Oo] or defined with a comment
> describing why.

You know that NO in this case is equivalent to YES, don't you? The only
way the variable USE_NCURSES is used is:

     ./devel/ncurses/builtin.mk:95:.if defined(USE_NCURSES)

> without checking what "color" actually means in the lynx/ncurses
> context, the definition should be something like:
>
>   USE_NCURSES=		# needs 'color' from ncurses
>
> or similar.

Or maybe even say "yes, use ncurses". I think the value "yes" is
appropriate here. I still don't like it if variables are set to the
empty string, because the meaning of an empty string depends heavily on
the context.

Roland