Subject: Re: png ABI bump - why?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/22/2006 21:25:08
--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:34:34AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On 4/22/06, Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org> wrote:
> > > Because of this part, which you conveniently quoted:
> > > >

> > How does this affect me when I'm compiling packages
> > with older png (pre-change) ? The older package doesn't
> > link against libpng12.
>=20
> If part of the downstream png fix is to link against libpng12, then
> gimp needs an override BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.png so that
> USE_ABI_DEPENDS=3Dno has no effect for gimp.

Do you mean that all the packages in pkgsrc have been changed to
link against libpng12 instead of libpng, and thus I need to update
png version in order to be still able to compile stuff from pkgsrc?

If pkgsrc packages now compile fine with older png, the ABI
depend on png-1.2.9 should only be forced if png-1.2.9 was
actually used for compilation (i.e. the result binary package
must depend on png-1.2.9+ if and only if png-1.2.9+ was used
for it's compilation).

> > IGNORE_RECOMMENDED didn't work for me in past, and so I don't
> > see how USE_ABI_DEPENDS would. Package authors depend
> > in RECOMMENDED bump, and after I got difficult-to-track
> > compile failures, I stopped using IGNORE_RECOMMENDED.
>=20
> That's fine.  IGNORE_RECOMMENDED=3Dyes (and now USE_ABI_DEPENDS=3Dno) is
> not exactly a fully supported option, as it's not guaranteed to work.=20
> However, pkgsrc *can* be fixed to make it work where it is currently
> broken, if the brokenness is reported.

I wasn't aware it's officially unsupported. Why it's there at all
then? It's useless to have known-broken feature in.

Since it's current pkgsrc standard to bump the RECOMMENDED/ABI
depends each time random pkgsrc package needs the newer version
or for other random reasons like security issues, I don't
feel like wasting my time tracking all particular issues with
ignoring RECOMMENDED/ABI depends.
=20
> That is NOT, however, a reason to stop bumping BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS,
> as that is required for default-build reproduceability.

Pardon? So pkgsrc has policy "let's force all pkgsrc users update
all their packages all the time just because pkgsrc developers
are lazy to bump depends on packages which actually need it" ?

Default-build reproduceability is certainly not reason to bump
ABI depends.

Jaromir
--=20
-=3D- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=3D-
-=3D- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=3D-

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl--