Subject: Re: how to deal with package users/groups when installing in
To: Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz@freenet.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/20/2006 15:40:06
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> How should pkgsrc deal with such a situation? Should the package's
> groups and users default to the unprivileged group and user by default
> when installing in unprivileged mode?

I have been just been setting them in my mk.conf on an as-needed basis.

I also tried using:
MAILMAN_USER=  ${UNPRIVILEGED_USER}
MAILMAN_GROUP= ${UNPRIVILEGED_GROUP}

But it caused
bmake: "../../mk/../../mk/bsd.pkg.check.mk" line 93: Not enough words in
for substitution list

So used
MAILMAN_USER=   reed
MAILMAN_GROUP=  2022
instead

I didn't look into the error yet (and maybe doesn't exist anymore).

It would be good if this was automated. (I think that is what you are
suggesting.)

To do this we would need to know what users and groups are being used.
Maybe something like:
_USERS+=	CUPS_USER
_GROUPS+=	CUPS_GROUP

And then mk/unprivileged.mk could set these.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'