Subject: Re: Is there a way to get X to work on an X800 Radeon on current/amd64?
To: Blair Sadewitz <sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Blair Sadewitz <sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/20/2006 08:06:54
You really think that's it?  I am going to install 3.0.1 (or whatever
is in the 3.0 directory) to see if it still happens.  I am almost
positive I had /usr/pkg/bin in my path, and even made a symlink to
/usr/X11R6/bin. I will let you know what happens, and give you the
output of Xorg.

BTW, I did do Xorg -configure && Xorg -config ~root/xorg.config.new
quite a few times.  It DOES work when I do that, but does NOT work if
I start the server with xinit or startx--I Get the error I originally
pasted to you about an invalid operation when trying to create a
window.  I am by no means a guru, but have years of experience with
UNIX OSes and so would be surprised if it were something like a path.=20
BTW, libpng would not build either; I would get messages about bad
"push" assembler instructions.  There is a PR about that I think (it
is amd64-specific, IIRC).  It will build with -DPNG_NO_ASSEMBLY or
something like that, but who knows if that breaks something else.  You
can check on that PR, I think it's from March 2006 or thereabouts.=20
I'm going to install 3.0.1 and see if that works.  I will either let
you know of my success or send you the error messages.  I'd like to
debug this in -current, though, as part of the reason why I run
NetBSD/OpenBSD is to help the community produce software.  I don't
code (yet, hope to remedy that when I can) in C, so I try to help by
helping developers debug things/testing ports/etc.  I haven't been
involved with NetBSD much, and I am so impressed with its performance
these days that I really want to run it, so let's get this fixed!=20
Plus, the more bugs like this that are fixed, the more users NetBSD
will have.  I just can't stand to run Linux, and FreeBSD rubs me the
wrong way for some reason.  I guess I'm just an "academic" type.

Regards,

--blair

--
"What is the practical application of a million galaxies?"

--Alan W. Watts