Subject: Re: huge ABI_DEPENDS patch (was Re: BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.expat)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/04/2006 23:46:01
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> RECOMMENDED is removed. It becomes ABI_DEPENDS.
>
> BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED.foo becomes BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS.foo.
>
> BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.foo becomes BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.foo.
>
> BUILDLINK_DEPENDS does not change.
>
> IGNORE_RECOMMENDED (which defaulted to "no") becomes USE_ABI_DEPENDS
> which defaults to "yes".

This plan sounds fine to me personally, so long as you provide a
compatibility definition for IGNORE_RECOMMENDED until the next branch.
(obsolete.mk checking for IGNORE_RECOMMENDED defined and matching
[Yy][Ee][Ss] should suffice; if it's undef or any other value,
USE_ABI_DEPENDS can take over).

The diffis too big to browse intelligently by me right now, so I trust your
judgment that the above changes were done right.  :)

> Note that if you use wip, it will fail! I have patched wip too but need to
> do again on a clean tree.

And the sf.net CVS servers have been up and down for a while due to major
disk failures.  Once it's back up, I'm sure this change will be just the
same to apply across wip as well.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>