Subject: huge ABI_DEPENDS patch (was Re: BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.expat)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/03/2006 23:33:40
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Dieter Baron wrote:

>   No double negatives, please.  How about HONOR_ABI_DEPENDS?  I think
> YES should mean ``use the feature in question'', and NO should mean
> ``don't use it''.

I reversed this like you suggest. I named it "USE_ABI_DEPENDS" and the
default is "yes".

Here is the patch for everyone's review:

 http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~reed/RECOMMENDED.diff
(883199 bytes)

1230 files changed.

I will commit the pkg_tools/pkg_install parts separately. And commit
pkgtools/revbump and pkgtools/pkglint separately.

To summarize the above patch:

RECOMMENDED is removed. It becomes ABI_DEPENDS.

BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED.foo becomes BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS.foo.

BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.foo becomes BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.foo.

BUILDLINK_DEPENDS does not change.

IGNORE_RECOMMENDED (which defaulted to "no") becomes USE_ABI_DEPENDS
which defaults to "yes".

I did not manually go through and fix any aesthetic tab/spacing issues.

I have tested the above patch on DragonFly building and packaging
subversion and pkglint and their many dependencies.

I have also tested USE_ABI_DEPENDS=no on my NetBSD workstation (where I
have used IGNORE_RECOMMENDED for a long time). I have been an active user
of IGNORE_RECOMMENDED since it was available.

Note that if you use wip, it will fail! I have patched wip too but need to
do again on a clean tree.

As suggested, I removed the documentation sentences suggesting bumping for
"security" issues.

Please share your thoughts.

 Jeremy C. Reed