Subject: Re: Future of the www/mozilla* packages (vs. seamonkey)
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2006 11:08:19
Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:03:50AM -0500, Johnny Lam wrote:
>> There are inevitably going to be either web or mail sites that work with
>> the Mozilla Suite but not with Seamonkey, so we want to keep them both
>> for now.  Later on, we will likely remove the mozilla packages when it
>> becomes apparent that they are bitrotting.
>
> In fact Seamonkey is just an upgrade of Mozilla, with a different name.
> Seamonkey 1.0 is what would otherwise have been Mozilla 1.8 by now.  So
> functionally, the seamonkey* packages could just be drop-in replacements
> for the mozilla* packages.

I understand that, but my points are that no upgrade is perfect, and the
existing mozilla* packages do have the distinction of being the last
official release on that branch, and that carries some weight.  We
should keep the mozilla* packages in pkgsrc for now, but that should not
be a barrier to importing the seamonkey packages.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>