Subject: Re: Future of the www/mozilla* packages (vs. seamonkey)
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2006 10:03:50
Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> I don't know how many people still use the Mozilla Suite, but I do, so I
> care. :-)
>
> I've packaged Mozilla Seamonkey (the continuation of the Mozilla Suite) in
> pkgsrc-wip a while ago (with -gtk1 and -bin versions), and it seems to work
> quite well (I've been using them daily ever since).  Improvements over
> Mozilla 1.7 are the same as Firefox 1.0->1.5 and Thunderbird 1.0->1.5.

Thank you for doing this.

> Since the Mozilla Foundation will not develop the Mozilla Suite any longer,
> are we going to keep the www/mozilla* packages in pkgsrc?  Or will we
> replace them by (upgrade them to) seamonkey* in the longer run?  (then,
> under the name seamonkey or mozilla?)  Or do we want them both, for now?

There are inevitably going to be either web or mail sites that work with
the Mozilla Suite but not with Seamonkey, so we want to keep them both
for now.  Later on, we will likely remove the mozilla packages when it
becomes apparent that they are bitrotting.

> If I'd be importing the seamonkey* packages into pkgsrc, I'd be importing
> them as-is.  Obviously, the seamonkey* packages copied a lot of structure
> from mozilla*, but I'm not going to split that out in a Makefile.common.

I look forward to seeing the import of the seamonkey packages.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>