Subject: Re: BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.expat
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/23/2006 13:56:12
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Johnny Lam wrote:
>

>>I don't think having a "security" depends is a good idea, and I would rather
>>see the practice of bumping dependencies for security-related reasons go away.
>>We should manage security-related issues externally instead of shoehorning
>>them into a package dependency graph.
>

> I also do not like the idea of bumping RECOMMENDED for each security fix.
> That is one reason someone may choose to use IGNORE_RECOMMENDED, but the
> Todd's suggested BUILDLINK_SECURITY_DEPENDS and a corresponding
> IGNORE_SECURITY_DEPENDS could fix that.
>
> I think audit-packages is good enough. But having a
> BUILDLINK_SECURITY_DEPENDS/IGNORE_SECURITY_DEPENDS might be good to
> automatically encourage security updates. Maybe IGNORE_SECURITY_DEPENDS
> could be disabled by default?

If we're going down this route, I want us (pkgsrc) to be very explicit
about what it means to have a package "depend" on another package.  Are
we saying that a dependency is the minimum package needed to satisfy a
requirement?  Or we are saying that it's the minimum, *non-vulnerable*
package needed to satisfy a requirement?  I simply don't think the
latter is a good definition.  You won't find that definition anywhere in
software READMEs ("requires zlib>=1.0, but make sure you use a
non-vulnerable version of zlib!").  Let's just have dependencies have
their usual meanings, and stop (ab)using them for security reasons.

I think we should make users more aware of audit-packages, and to push
that as the security-check mechanism for pkgsrc.  We've already
integrated audit-packages into the pkgsrc build so that we can tell if
we're building vulnerable packages -- now we just need to make users
aware of how use audit-packages to tell if they're running vulnerable
packages on their systems.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>