Subject: defaults for SSL support
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/17/2006 11:37:26
I just fixed mail/mail-notification to build with SSL by default, via
PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS.

With options, there's the question of what should be on by default.
My view is that it should be what most users would want, where there's
a bias to include features if they don't hurt too much, so that the
average over users of utility functions is maximized.  This leads to
leaving out things that add complexity and size (like omitting
PostgreSQL from postfix by default), but including things a) that are
widely useful and b) for which the support is likely already present.

In the case SSL, I would expect almost all systems to have it
present.  I don't think it is reasonable to run POP3 or IMAP without
SSL, and was surprised to see evolution built without it.

So, I'd like to propose that we adopt (somehow) the notion that SSL
support should be enabled by default, either unconditionally, as
PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS, or by having 'ssl' in the global
PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS in mk/bsd.prefs.mk, similar to how inet6 appears
there via legacy code if USE_INET6 is defined.

(Perhaps USE_SSL=yes, and a legacy line for it :-)