Subject: Re: stop creating etc/rc.d?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/16/2006 09:39:21
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> > As far as I understand, pkgsrc only puts example rc.d scripts into
> > $LOCALBASE/share/examples/rc.d, and doesn't put them into
> > $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d any more.
>
> Hmm, at least emulators/vmware-module3 still does copy it to
> $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d

That should be fixed. Especially since some pkgsrc admins do not even use
${PREFIX}/etc/. See
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/pkginstall.html#rcd-scripts for
details.

> > Is there any reason to keep .../etc/rc.d around, given that it's not
> > scanned upon system startup anyways?
> >
> > Or did I miss something (easily possible!)?
>
> I find it not easy to find the pkg rc.d scripts in $LOCALBASE/share/examples/rc.d.
> Thats not the first place where I would look for rc.d scripts.
> And it takes some tries to find it from time to time when i install
> a new package which has an rc.d script.

It was more confusing before where the ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/ directory was
labeled for the "example" rc.d scripts.

See http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/fixes.html#startup-scripts

Although that documentation needs a slight improvement:

   If a package contains a rc.d script, it won't be copied into the
   startup directory by default, but you can enable it, by adding the
   option PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES in /etc/mk.conf. (Also PKG_CONFIG needs to
   be set to the default YES.) This will copy the scripts to the
   ${RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR} (which defaults to /etc/rc.d) when a package is
   installed, and it will automatically remove the scripts when the
   package is deinstalled.

   Setting PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES in the environment can also be used when
   installing binary packages using pkg_add(1) to copy the rc.d scripts
   into place.

Manually enabling the rc.d scripts may also be needed. I am not sure the
best way to document this yet, unless we assume all support "rcvar".

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'