Subject: Re: pkginstall framework changes
To: Stephan Thesing <thesing@cs.uni-sb.de>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2006 10:17:14
Stephan Thesing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Johnny Lam wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:17:42 -0500
>> From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
>> To: Stephan Thesing <thesing@cs.uni-sb.de>
>> Cc: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
>> Subject: Re: pkginstall framework changes
>
> [...]
>
>> Your analysis is exactly right.  I think we should just generate
>> install scripts not during the build phase, but "just after" the build
>> phase.  I had originally put it into post-build when I started out
>> because I was hesitant to add another layer between "build" and
>> "install", but I think we're beyond that now.
>

> what would be wrong with doing that at pre-install: time?

It's a question of the ownership on the created files.  The "install"
phase is run as the root user while all the preceding phases are run as
a normal user.  Having files owned by root in the work directory
complicates some ancillary steps, like "make clean".  Also, just in
general, we'd like to do fewer things as root.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>