Subject: pkgsrc on NetBSD 1.6
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2006 14:32:36
Is pkgsrc still supposed to work on 1.6 ?

Someone here (who is stuck on 1.6 as they have a bunch of kernel
modifications for a project they're doing, in areas that got
modified a bit in the transition to 2.0) wants to use an up to date
pkgsrc.
	[Aside: you don't want the kernel mods - believe me, you don't...]

This system has had nothing new updated/installed in it (aside from the
project work) since it was first installed back when 1.6 was fairly new.

Obviously, attempting to run a current pkgsrc results in the "your
package tools are too old, update by ..." message.   That's fine.

However, the update doesn't work, should it?

The new pkgtools all compile OK, but don't install.   The relevant
part of the build log (please excuse any line wrap errors, I suspect
this log has been cut/pasted several times before now) ...

=> Unwrapping files-to-be-installed.
/usr/bin/sed    -e
"s|@PKG_DBDIR@|/var/db/pkg|g"                         -e "s|@PKG_TOOLS_
BIN@|/usr/sbin|g"              -e "s|@MKDIR@|/bin/mkdir
-p|g"                          /us
r/src/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/INSTALL >
/usr/src/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/work/.pkg
db/+INSTALL
/bin/chmod +x /usr/src/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/work/.pkgdb/+INSTALL
/usr/bin/make deinstall UPDATE_RUNNING=YES
===> Deinstalling for pkg_install
Running
/usr/src/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/work/pkg_install-20060123/delete/pkg_delete
-
N -f usage: pkg_admin [-V] command args ... Where 'commands' and 'args'
are: rebuild - reb
uild pkgdb from +CONTENTS files check [pkg ...] - check md5 checksum of
installed files ls
all /path/to/pkgpattern - list all pkgs matching the pattern lsbest
/path/to/pkgpattern -
list pkgs matching the pattern best dump - dump database pmatch pattern
pkg - returns true
 if pkg matches pattern, otherwise false
pkg_delete: No matching pkg for [-V].
/usr/bin/make install
===> *** No /usr/src/pkgsrc/distfiles/pkg-vulnerabilities file found,
 ===>
*** skipping vulnerability
checks. To fix,
install ===> *** the pkgsrc/security/audit-packages package and run
===> *** '/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list'.
===> Installing for pkg_install-20060123
===> usage: pkg_admin [-V] command args ...
Where 'commands' and 'args' are:
 rebuild                     - rebuild pkgdb from +CONTENTS files
 check [pkg ...]             - check md5 checksum of installed files
 lsall /path/to/pkgpattern   - list all pkgs matching the pattern
 lsbest /path/to/pkgpattern  - list pkgs matching the pattern best
 dump                        - dump database
 pmatch pattern pkg          - returns true if pkg matches pattern,
otherwise false is alr
eady installed - perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may use either of:
***  - "pkg_delete usage: pkg_admin [-V] command args ...
Where 'commands' and 'args' are:
 rebuild                     - rebuild pkgdb from +CONTENTS files
 check [pkg ...]             - check md5 checksum of installed files
 lsall /path/to/pkgpattern   - list all pkgs matching the pattern
 lsbest /path/to/pkgpattern  - list pkgs matching the pattern best
 dump                        - dump database
 pmatch pattern pkg          - returns true if pkg matches pattern,
otherwise false" and "
/usr/bin/make reinstall" to upgrade properly
***  - "/usr/bin/make update" to rebuild the package and all of its
dependencies
***  - "/usr/bin/make replace" to replace only the package without
re-linking
***    dependencies, risking various problems.
*** Error code 1

Ignore the pkg-vulnerabilities noise, I understand that (that stuff
didn't exist in the pkgsrc that had previously been used on the
relevant system - and until the pkgtools can be updated, there's no
way to install audit-packages...).

Any ideas?    (I haven't been to actually observe this one myself,
though I probably can if that's needed).

kre