Subject: lang/php, www/php4 question
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/08/2006 23:36:27
--4eRLI4hEmsdu6Npr

Hey all,

I tried to install PHP 4 the other day, found lang/php and lang/php5 so
I assumed lang/php would be PHP 4.  That directory turned out not to have
a Makefile at all!

Is this considered to be correct, a subdir under a pkgsrc category without
a Makefile?

Also, I noticed PHP 4 actually resides under www/php4.  Why is it there,
while php5 is under the lang category?  IMHO both should be under lang,
since PHP is "just" a language that happens to be used a lot for website
scripting.  One could actually use it to (shudder) build system
administration scripts, even if it wasn't designed to do that.

Wouldn't it be best to move www/php4 to lang/php4, and move lang/php5's
Makefile and such to lang/php?

(Please CC me, I'm not on this list)

Regards,
Peter