Subject: Re: A generic crossbuilding toolchain?
To: Tonnerre LOMBARD <tonnerre@bsdprojects.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2006 13:41:22
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Tonnerre LOMBARD wrote:

> Would it be possible to create some kind of generic crossbuilding toolchain
> for pkgsrc like the one we have for src right now?

Crossbuilding is not a completely supported concept in pkgsrc.  It *partly*
works for some targets (pkgsrc/crosspkgtools), but it is by no means
complete.  Those tools use software emulators to run target binaries as if
they were on the target arch, because a lot of packages run (target)
programs as part of their build processes.

Much work will still have to be done before this is a concept that can be
made generic -- and not the least of that work is making a framework for
generic software emulators for the reason I mention above.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>