Subject: Re: Problems building cairo - RESOLVED
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: None <tnoell@lexmark.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/16/2006 13:55:00
Hi Jeremy:

Thanks for your reply.

>> I discovered that I had PREFER_PKGSRC=openssl
>> so I wasn't getting the default value that included fontconfig and
>> freetype2.

>That is not the real problem.

I agree - that's why I stated that it solves _my_ problem.

>> Setting PREFER_PKGSRC=yes
>> solves my problem.  (I want pkgsrc and not the host system for
everything).

>That doesn't sound like the real fix.

Again, I agree.  Here's what I think is going on:

The wrapper phase is not creating the links to pkgsrc's freetype.pc and
fontconfig2.pc because PREFER_PKGSRC didn't contain these packages.  I do
see the work/.buildlink/.buildlink_fontconfig_done and
work/.buildlink/.buildlink_freetype2_done stamp files, which tells me that
the wrapper phase considered creating them.  (Indeed, when
USE_BUILTIN.fontconfig and USE_BUILTIN.freetype2 are "yes", the links get
produced by the wrapper phase).  Thus, when cairo's configure (apparently
pkgsrc aware) uses pkg-config to see if freetype2 and fontconfig are
available, it doesn't find them because the .buildlink/lib/pkgconfig/*.pc
links are not there (because pkgsrc is using the BUILTIN ones).

So, it seems to me that if cairo's configure is going to be pkgsrc aware,
then it needs to know how to check USE_BUILTIN.fontconfig and
USE_BUILTIN.freetype2 and if they are "yes", then check the host system for
them, rather than complain that they are not available because pkg-config
didn't report them.

Anyway, I *think* this is the real problem.  I have no clue how to fix
this.
If my analysis is correct, perhaps the cairo maintainer for pkgsrc can
comment?

> Any examples of generating fake pkgconfig pc files for the work
directory?

Not sure what you are asking for here ... again I am fairly new to pkgsrc
... if you can be more specific I'll be glad to provide more info ...

Best Regards,
Tim

                      "Jeremy C. Reed"
                      <reed@reedmedia.n        To:       tnoell@lexmark.com
                      et>                      cc:       tech-pkg@NetBSD.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Problems building cairo - RESOLVED
                      tech-pkg-owner@Ne
                      tBSD.org

                      02/15/2006 06:47
                      PM

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 tnoell@lexmark.com wrote:

> I discovered that I had PREFER_PKGSRC=openssl
> so I wasn't getting the default value that included fontconfig and
> freetype2.

That is not the real problem.

> Setting PREFER_PKGSRC=yes
> solves my problem.  (I want pkgsrc and not the host system for
everything).

That doesn't sound like the real fix.

Your fontconfig and/or freetype2 are good thought to be good enough in
your base system so they are not buildlinked.

Any examples of generating fake pkgconfig pc files for the work directory?

 Jeremy C. Reed

        BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
       http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/