Subject: Re: Third Party User-UIDs > 1000
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/13/2006 17:51:56
Johnny Lam wrote:
> I'm definitely not in favor of the additional complexity.  I feel that
> user/group creation is a platform-specific issue, and that the local
> administrator can either create the correct local policies for the
> automatic tools to work correctly, or to create the users and groups
> beforehand.  I want pkgsrc to manage packages -- not deal with the the
> small-but-important details of local user/group management.

Thinking about it, this "additional complexity" in pkgsrc need only be
something like:

-USERADD?=	/usr/sbin/useradd
+USERADD?=	/usr/sbin/useradd -P pkgsrc

in NetBSD.mk, possibly with some means to determine if useradd
understands the flag.

The complexity then goes into useradd, in NetBSD, which would tread -P
profile to specify which profile to choose from usermgmt.conf. Other
operating systems would then be free to implement similar schemes,
without introducing extra complexity into pkgsrc.

Of course, NetBSD would then ideally ship a default usermgmt.conf file
which defines a pkgsrc profile (eg with uid 500-999) and a default
profile which matches current behaviour. That would create sane
defaults, which are easy to tweak by an administrator to taste.

Is this reasonable?

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget