Subject: Re: pkglint -Wall
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2006 19:45:35
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Roland Illig wrote:

> In general, use the :Q operator. But pay attention if the variable appears in
> 'single quotes', "double quotes" or `backticks`.

Firstly, thanks for that explanation..

Something that confused me (and is not really the fault of pkglint, pkgsrc
or your explanation) was that for some reason I expected the :Q operator
to deal in quotes (ie '") and I even saw 'Quotes every shell
meta-character' in make(1) which didnt help. The pkglint warnings all
dealt with possibly misquoted errors and I tried several different
combinations of quoting to get rid of it before coming out..

I guess its too late to do anything about it now (and :E is used), but
AFAIK what :Q does is more accurately described as "Escapes every shell
meta-character". Maybe this is a language thing though..

I wonder if the message that 'pkglint -Wall' gives might be more clearly
understood if either it just said 'use :Q you fool' as it does normally or
if it used the escape word somewhere?

iain