Subject: packages installing into /usr
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2006 15:58:14
Hi, I keep coming across various packages that insist on installing some files
into /usr direcotry, even though my LOCALBASE in mk.conf is set to /opt/pkg

/usr/ucb/install -d -o root -g root -m 755 /usr/share/man/man1
install: mkdir: /usr/share/man/man1: Read-only file system
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /opt/pkgsrc/devel/gettext
*** Error code 1

I build all packages in a chroot jail, where everything is mounted read-only
except etc, distfiles and pkg directories. I guess it would be a good thing if
the package maintainers would do the same thing, as it would catch these
errors, otherwise some files get installed outside of LOCALBASE directory
(possibly overwriting system files) and nobody knows about it