Subject: Re: the recent 'gettext ABI change' bump.
To: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/06/2006 19:52:53
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, walt wrote:

> > This is not about DragonFly, otherwise I would have carefully thought
> > about a different option.
>
> I'm sympathetic to package maintainers because I depend on all of
> you to keep my machine running.  (Thank you!)
>
> But this current disaster is one more example of why I argued against
> abandoning the FBSD ports system before pkgsrc was ready for DFly.

Understood.  We have internally identified some of the pain points, and we
now realize that the number of packages that really should have been bumped
is far less than the number actually bumped by pkgtools/revbump.  pkgsrc
focuses on tools to assist with large changes, so we have to fix the tool to
be smarter, and perhaps add more runtime options to adjust the behavior
based on the kind of change desired.

As a boilerplate answer:  "Sorry about that; we know it didn't work the way
we intended, and we'll try to be much better at this in the future."

I'll open a PR with a summary on the issue so that the known problems with
pkgtools/revbump aren't forgotten.  My time is limited right now, which is
why the libtool update (to 1.5.22) took so long to get done; however, I can
at least find the time to summarize what we know so far into a PR.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>