Subject: Re: pkg summary file format proposal
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2006 21:14:40
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Dieter Baron wrote:

> Contrary to Jeremy's proposal, I propose the format already used in
> the +BUILD_INFO and +INSTALLED_INFO files: lines of the form
> `VARIABLE=value'.

This sounds good.

>   To save space, I would like to change the way multi-line values are
> stored (both in the summary and the +{BUILD,INSTALLED}_INFO files).
> They are currently stored as multiple lines:
>
> REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/lib/libjpeg.so.62
> REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/lib/libpng.so.3
>
> while I would like to have continuation lines start with a single tab
> character:
>
> REQUIRES=/usr/pkg/lib/libjpeg.so.62
> 	/usr/pkg/lib/libpng.so.3

I like being able to do a simple grep to get thie information. I don't
think much space is used up.

> PKGNAME		apache-1.3.34		name and version of package

Would that be a delimiter to separate the data also?

> REQUIRES	/usr/pkg/lib/libexpat.so.1	needed shared library

And also include non-pkgsrc shared libraries required also. (pkg_add could
warn.)

> and maybe also:
>
> variable name	example			description
> SIZE_PKG	1768565			installed size
> OPSYS		NetBSD			OS package was compiled on
> OS_VERSION	2.0.2			version OS package was compiled on
> MACHINE_ARCH	i386			architecture package was compiled on
> OBJECT_FMT	ELF			object format package uses

Yes, for all of those.

> 	pkg_info -C *.tgz | gzip -9 > pkg_summary.txt.gz

Looks good. I assume that the arguments could be package names installed
too in addition to binary package files like pkg_info already works
like. Of course, it will be more useful to do that for the All directory
of the binary packages.

This will be very useful.

Has anyone looked at KDE package manager lately? What does it need as a
data format for showing available packages?

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/