Subject: Re: Overhauling PLIST command set
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/22/2006 01:07:06
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 02:43:50PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Is there any expected date or code to test to begin implementing the
> following @shareddir?
>
> I use binary packages on machines where I use pkg_add to replace (so the
> packages that depend on it still are installed). I often get complains due
> to attempts to remove directories that other packages share.

After some more discussion I arrived at the opinion that pkgsrc
should handle all directories automatically by proper refcounting.
However, the refcounting should be in the pkgtools themselves
instead of shell scripts like currently, to avoid quoting issues
and performance problems.

I have not started working on this though.
 Thomas