Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] The pkgsrc-2005Q4 branch
To: None <tech-pkg@pkgsrc.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2005 10:31:41
On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 09:32:36PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:21:00AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>>
>> But I was wondering... would it be possible to build the 10% most
>> used packages for the most popular arches first.
>
>Defining these 10% packages won't be easy. Letting the build system
>decide the order based on dependancies is probably the easiest.
>Anther issue is with the upload script. I'm quite sure I can't run it
>while a build is running.

No worries, but this may be interisting

Recursive Make Considered Harmful
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97-de.pdf
    This paper talks about the build process for large projects, and some of the pitfalls when using Make.
    There is also a German translation available, courtesy of CM Magazin.

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org