Subject: Re: Using pkgsrc for an OpenSolaris distro
To: Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh@Sun.COM>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2005 02:20:57
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Moinak Ghosh wrote:
>  Solaris uses the SVR4 packaging mechanism. It is also available in binary
> form (open-sourcing will take
>  some time) for use in OpenSolaris distros. However I wish to have a more
> feature-packed packaging
>  software.

FWIW, IIRC there's some hooks in pkgsrc to produce 'native' solaris
package. Try "env PACKAGE_NAME_TYPE=svr4 make package". (I've never used
this, but I think it's a good start). I think you need to use
pkgsrc/pkgtools/gensolpkg to use it... (documentation??? :-()

I guess you already know how to use pkgsrc on Solaris, if not this may be
useful: http://www.feyrer.de/Texts/Own/21c3-pkgsrc-paper.pdf (the details
have changed, but it gives you a rough idea).

In the long run I'd love to see pkgsrc use different "native" packaging
systems (for resolving dependencies and handling of binary packages), but
that's a big pie in the sky.

  - Hubert