Subject: Re: Using pkgsrc for an OpenSolaris distro
To: Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh@Sun.COM>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/2005 16:41:04
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:45:01 +0530
Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh@Sun.COM> wrote:

>    Since OpenSolaris does not have any default packaging mechanism I
> need to select one. I wish to have
>    something feature packed and modern.

I think Solaris uses native packaging system for installing base system and 3rd
party software. You don't even have to use a packaging system for the base
system. You could have something as simple as *.tar.gz files, containing kernel
+ drivers, or X11 and unpack them into /. Just seperate them into logical units
like:

core.tgz, x11.tgz, devel.tgz, etc.

So instead of having say graphics card drivers as a seperate package, you all
bundle it under x11.tgz

For 3rd party software like KDE or Gnome, you could use pkgsrc.