Subject: cp */
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/21/2005 11:27:49
I was trying to troubleshoot why installations of abiword differed on
Linux and NetBSD 2.1.

Then I manually tried (on NetBSD):

  cp -r */ target

which has results that are missing a subdirectory like:

./problemshelp.html

versus

  cp -r * target2

which has correct results like:

./problems/problemshelp.html

I see that src/bin/cp/cp.c revision 1.40 dated Nov. 16 says "Trim trailing
slashes from source filenames so that cp foo/ == cp foo".

Should I suggest to abiword developers that cp -r * is more portable than
cp -r */  ??

Or is NetBSD 2.1 broken? (I don't think so.)

I think the abiword installer is broken, because generally foo/ means that
the contents of the directory instead of the directory (foo) itself. I
will patch abiword to not use the trailing slash.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/