Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/19/2005 23:03:40
On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 01:30:56PM +0100, Lars Nordlund wrote:
> About disk space: The bulk machines would have to buy bigger
> harddrives, yes.

On some systems it's not something you'll want to go into.

> I do not see a way to deinstall packages during the
> build when other processes/machines may have them buildlinked from
> their work directories.

You'll have to statically define how many jobs you want to have in parallel,
and create a sandbox for each for them. Then the scheduler will have
to start partial buils in each of them. This approach has several benefits:
- if we carefully choose the way the scheduler starts builds in different
  sandbox, we can have parallel build on a cluster of systems for free.
- if we split the scheduling from the build processes, it should be possible
  to have the scheduling done on a system different from the target
  system (hum, all the prebuild stage done on a fast x86 box when
  bulk-building for sparc :)

Ultimately this would allow a system like that: bulk-building for sparc,
the scheduler runs on a x86 which starts builds on several sparc systems,
and the builds use distcc against a cluster of x86 systems.

Or you can change sparc to vax, and "several sparc systems" to "several
simh running on a 4-way x86 system)" :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>