Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/19/2005 19:23:39
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:55:54 +0100 (CET)
Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 segv@netctl.net wrote:
> > There seems to be a problem with pkgsrc wrapper scripts. I keep getting the
> > following errors when I apply your patch to bsd.pkg.mk but with -j6
> >
> > /opt/pkg.obj/x11/gtk2/work/.wrapper/bin/cc[51]: syntax error at line 51 :
> > `case' unmatched gmake[3]: *** [gdk-pixbuf-xlib-render.lo] Error 1
> > gmake[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> >
> > Any idea what might be causing this?
>
> No. Looking at that wrapper script (which one is that, from
> /usr/pkgsrc/mk?), line 51 may be a good first step.
>
> Checking work/.work.log may help.
>
> I know 0 about the wrapper framework...
>

>   - Hubert

Oh well, neither do I.
I looked at the log file and various wrapper scripts, but I don't quite
understand what they do. It seems there are race conditions within pkgsrc
framework when make forks multiple jobs. I think somebody who knows how the
wrapper scripts work, needs to have a look at it. The same errors keep showing
up again and again, with different packages and I don't know what really causes
them. It's a shame, because on a quad CPU Sun machine, other 3 CPUs are just
sitting idle.