Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/16/2005 19:45:10
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:24:14 +0100 (CET)
Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu> wrote:
> It will also tie up things that wait on dependencies, i.e. if you build N
> apps that want qt, they'll all wait for the qt build. And all the KDExxxx
> packages waiting for kdebase.

Waiting for dependancies is something you want to do, if you want your
builds to succeed.

> And I guess there are many more nightmares involved in this, given the
> complexity of the dependency tree[1].

There is no complexity with the dependency tree. Just generate a
Makefile and let make(1) do the job scheduling. Patch for this has been
posted to the list multiple times. I have also used it to schedule
builds over multiple machines using pkgsrc/devel/clusterit.

Best regards,
	Lars Nordlund