Subject: Re: pkgsrc on SMP machines
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/2005 12:56:25
> (There is that other idea to build pkgsrc packages in parallel which is stuck
> to some people's head, but it grossly violates the KISS principle and
> involves all sort of nasty things like locking and whatnot; I still suggest
> not going there)

With regards to this, it doesn't have to be THAT complicated, and such a
scheme would make building using multiple machines of the same arch with a
shared tree much more transparent. As it is, it's possible to do this
right now by manually splitting up parts of the dependency tree, but this
starts to become more difficult when building things with more than zero
dependencies.

John