Subject: Re: Solaris 9, Firefox and wrong ELF class: ELFClASS32
To: kilim <kilim@phenix.rootshell.be>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/12/2005 22:37:58
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:00:08 +0100
kilim <kilim@phenix.rootshell.be> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 04:10:06PM +0000, segv@netctl.net wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:18:28 +0100
>
> > kilim <kilim@phenix.rootshell.be> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > When trying to compile Firefox on Solaris 9 I get the following error:
> > >
> > > ld: fatal: file lock_SunOS.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
> >
> > Ask yourself one question: why are you building a 64-bit Firefox??
> > Mozilla/Firefox is a monster, which is full of bloat and bugs,
> > especially on 64-bit platforms.
>

> I want to have a working version of Firefox instead of using a Netscape 4
> which hangs when I try to read Gmail. Is that reasonable enough ? :)
>
> But seriously, have I declared something wrong in the mk.conf or is my
> load path wrong ?
>
> Why won't it compile ? Can you help me please ?
>
> I like the idea behind pkgsrc and would like to use it as the main
> software 'Santa Claus'. So if you require any info, please tell me
> what it is and I'll gladly share it.
>
> Thank you for your time and patience :)
>
>  Kilim

Basically you set ABI=64 in your mk.conf, which builds 64-bit packages, comment
that line to build 32-bit packages. Still, www/firefox has problems on Solaris,
I've submitted a bug report and patches many months ago, but nobody seems to be
interested in fixing those problems (I assume that because my PR is still open).

See
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=31481