Subject: Re: Merging the aalib packages (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/2005 20:53:54
On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 08:31:46PM +0100, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:48:43PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:44:18PM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> > > if you build against aalib without x11 support it plays in the terminal
> > > window while it opens a new window otherwise.  there is also difference
> > > in the characters used (no bold characters in terminal?) and limited
> > > controls.  the x11 enabled version has better output.
> > >
> > > you can simulate this by building the x11 version and playing:
> > >
> > >  mplayer -quiet -vo aa somefile
> > >
> > > and then unsetting DISPLAY and trying to play it again.
> >
> > So you want to enable the x11 option if you can, and disable
> > it on servers where you don't want X11 installed.
> >
> > I don't see yet why we would want both installed at the same
> > time.

Maybe not installed at the same time, but think about binary packages
for tools which don't need X11 to work, but need aalib. IMHO gphoto
is such s package.

> It seems that x11 support is enabled by default, which is
> good since I cannot imagine aalib in non-desktop environment,
> and preserves the way the package work now.

I think using gimp was a bad example. IMHO the problem was gphoto which
was fixed in 2002, as you seen in the history of the aalib Makefile,
based on a PR (15268) from Lubomir.

Bernd