Subject: Re: Installing and using Java?
To: David Griffith <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/08/2005 11:46:26
David Griffith wrote:
> Can someone point me to a document that clearly explains what must be
> installed and done in order to run Java apps on NetBSD?
>
> Example, I'd like to install Jsynthlib for controlling my synthesizer
> equipment.  When I invoke it, I get this:
>
> $ java -jar JSynthLib-0.20.0.jar
> assertion "class->state >= CSTATE_DOING_LINK" failed: file "lookup.c",
> line 85, function "getMethodSignatureClass"
> Abort trap (core dumped)

Installing Java may be the least of your problems with JSynthLib. I
looked into geting it running on NetBSD last year, and gave up. It
required a platform specific chunk of code to implement MIDI events, and
at the time JSynthLib only provided code for Linux and Windows.

I considered adding NetBSD support, as I'm reasonably familiar with
NetBSD's MIDI support, but decided not to when I saw the poor quality of
the Java code in JSynthLib itself. I started to clean it up, until I saw
on the mailing lists that someone was "improving" the code by munging it
with NetBeans. I know from experience that doing so results in
unreadable code.

Chris