Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Package removal candidates
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/06/2005 20:12:13
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:40:40PM -0500, Jim Wise wrote:
> Yes.  This variable, like CC, CFLAGS, and other variables, has been part
> of the contract which pkgsrc provides to java packages for _years_.  It
> is also part of the normal contract provided by a java development
> environment.

Well, I think you'll have to face the fact that the contract has changed.

Why?
To support the various jvm implementations from pkgsrc, and get correct
dependency handling. Nowadays you don't set JAVA_HOME, but you select the
jvm you want to use via setting the PKG_JVM_DEFAULT variable.

Sadly, this is not documented in the pkgsrc guide (it is mentioned
in mk/java-vm.mk).
However, neither is JAVA_HOME.

You can and probably will have to set JAVA_HOME if using programs
outside of pkgsrc, but inside pkgsrc it's different.

Btw, java-vm.mk also contains:
ALL_ENV+=               JAVA_HOME=${PKG_JAVA_HOME}
This is sufficient for quite a number of
packages, but it seems not for jdbc-postgresql*.

Cheers,
 Thomas