Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Package removal candidates
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/06/2005 00:38:04
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:09:07AM -0500, Jim Wise wrote:
> >The following packages haven't been building in NetBSD bulk
> >builds since April. I extracted the reasons below from Krister's
> >latest 2.0 and 3.0 i386 bulk builds.
> >
> >databases/jdbc-postgresql			jwise
> >databases/jdbc-postgresql74			jwise
> >
> >These two complain about JAVA_HOME not being set.
>
> This is an incorrect configuration on the bulk build machine.  At least
> the former of these packages is widely used by a number of users (myself
> included), and there are no PRs open to correspond to it's alleged
> unbuildability.
>
> As I do not perform bulk builds myself, I am not in a position to
> hand-hold the configuration of the bulk build system to make sure
> that it keep up with the constantly-shifting array of configuration
> variables for the building of java packages.  Someone who _is_
> performing bulk builds should do so.

Since Krister has been doing bulk builds for a long while now, I'm
quite sure that he knows how to configure bulk builds correctly,
so I'm convinced that something's missing or broken in the packages,
not the bulk build setup.

In particular since you claim to not know much about bulk builds,
I'm astonished that you are so sure that the problem is an "incorrect
configuration on the bulk build machine".

I don't presume to know much about how java is supposed to work in
pkgsrc. However, I don't think that JAVA_HOME is a variable that
should be set by the user (or system, or bulk build administrator).

In particular, all java packages seem to work fine in the bulk
builds I've looked at, except for these two (and www/jakarta-tomcat4),
which complain about JAVA_HOME not being set.

Perhaps the differences between jakarta-tomcat4 and jakarta-tomcat5
will shed some light on what needs to be changed so that the packages
work in bulk builds too.

> If this package is removed, it will be recommitted.

I'm not going to start a commit war, and I resent the suggestion.

> Feel free to remove ap-jserv, if I don't get there first.

Thanks for the feedback on ap-jserv.

Cheers,
 Thomas