Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Package removal candidates
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/05/2005 11:09:07

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Thomas Klausner wrote:

>Hi!
>
>The following packages haven't been building in NetBSD bulk
>builds since April. I extracted the reasons below from Krister's
>latest 2.0 and 3.0 i386 bulk builds.
>
>databases/jdbc-postgresql			jwise
>databases/jdbc-postgresql74			jwise
>
>These two complain about JAVA_HOME not being set.

This is an incorrect configuration on the bulk build machine.  At least
the former of these packages is widely used by a number of users (myself
included), and there are no PRs open to correspond to it's alleged
unbuildability.

As I do not perform bulk builds myself, I am not in a position to
hand-hold the configuration of the bulk build system to make sure
that it keep up with the constantly-shifting array of configuration
variables for the building of java packages.  Someone who _is_
performing bulk builds should do so.

If this package is removed, it will be recommitted.

>www/ap-jserv					jwise
>
>Does not configure. On 3.0:
> checking java... /usr/pkg/java/jdk-1.1.8/bin/java
> checking javac... /usr/pkg/java/jdk-1.1.8/bin/javac
> checking javadoc... /usr/pkg/java/jdk-1.1.8/bin/javadoc
> checking jar... /usr/pkg/java/jdk-1.1.8/bin/jar
> checking JSDK... configure: error: javax.servlet.Servlet not found in /usr/pkg/lib/java/jsdk.jar
>On 2.0:
> checking JSDK... /usr/pkg/lib/java/jsdk.jar
> checking overview... disabled
> ...Enabling EAPI Support...
> checking for httpd.h... no
> configure: error: Could not locate one or more of the necessary Apache header files.
>     Please check that you have passed the correct location for the Apache
>     directory.  Note that you must run either Apache's 'Configure' or
>     'configure' program at least once if you have never compiled Apache before;
>     this generates certain necessary headers files based on your platform.
> *** Error code 1

This has been supplanted by tomcat and ap-jk, and can be safely removed.

>I will remove all packages from this list which are still failing
>in the 2.0 bulk builds in 2006 (except if I get feedback why I
>shouldn't).

Feel free to remove ap-jserv, if I don't get there first.
jdbc-postgresql works fine for our users, and should not be removed.

- --
				Jim Wise
				jwise@draga.com