Subject: Re: Problems building x11/gtk2, no "pangocairo"; pango at fault?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/04/2005 03:17:15
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

>>    I've been looking through pango's config.log, and the only thing that
>> particularly catches my attention is this:

[...]

>> /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pango/work/.buildlink/lib/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_unlock'

[...]

> This is exactly the problem.  You should start checking if
> /usr/pkg/lib/libcairo.so (or any other libcairo*.so) library is linked
> against libpthread.  You can do this by using "ldd <lib_name>".  If it
> does not appear in any of the libraries, cairo didn't detect libpthread
> when it was built, so it wasn't linked correctly.  If it does, though,
> something else is wrong.

   libcairo<version>.so (and it's symlinks) isn't linked against it.

   From reading config.log it seems pthread is detected just fine, though.
"checking pthread.h usability", "checking pthread.h presence", "checking
for pthread.h" all return positive.  And that's the only mention of
"pthread" in there..

> You can also check if any /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig/*cairo* files lists
> pthread in it.

   There's /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig/cairo.pc, and it doesn't mention pthread.

> As a start, try rebuilding and reinstalling cairo.

   Well, I've only done that about 20 times already, but thanks for the
tip.  :-)

  (Just don't tell me to rebuild pth, it's got a million dependencies.)

> BTW, what OS/version are you using?

   Sorry, it's NetBSD 1.6.  I assumed that everyone saved several months of
mailing list traffic, just like I do.  :-)

MAgnus