Subject: Re: mail/imap-uw build problems on Darwin
To: Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz@freenet.de>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/30/2005 07:48:13
On 10/30/05 03:01, Georg Schwarz wrote:
>>cc1: error: unrecognized option `-Wno-pointer-sign'
>>*** Error code 1
>

> I don't have that issue on Tiger with gcc 4, and it is listed in the gcc
> man page. Does your gcc man page mention it?

No. This is Panther, which has gcc 3.3

>>/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -lgssapi
>>/usr/bin/libtool: file: -lgssapi is not an object file (not allowed in a
>>library)
>>/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -lasn1
>>/usr/bin/libtool: file: -lasn1 is not an object file (not allowed in a
>>library)
>>/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -lroken
>>/usr/bin/libtool: file: -lroken is not an object file (not allowed in a
>>library)
>

> where are libgsappi, libasnl, and libroken supposed to come from?
> At least on Darwin they are not supplied by pkgsrc.

Apparently they do not exist anywhere on Darwin. It looks like the
relevant kerberos and gssapi libraries are:

-> ls -1 /usr/lib/*krb*
/usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.dylib@
/usr/lib/libkrb4.dylib@
/usr/lib/libkrb5.dylib@
/usr/lib/libkrb524.dylib@

and each of those is a link to
/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Kerberos

not sure about libasn1, but imap-uw can build without it on Darwin.

> I think the patch should not simply be removed, because otherwise the
> Makefile.gss flatly references /usr/local, which is likely incorrect with
> most systems. I just removed the -lgsappi, -lasnl, and -lroken statements
> from the patched src/osdep/unix/Makefile.gss's last line, and this makes
> things compile on Darwin. Now I agree I don't have a suitable idea of how
> to make this conditional depending on the OS. The is ${GSS_EXTRA_LDFLAGS},
> maybe the libs in question could be placed there on the appropriate OS?
> Would that have to be set as a MAKE_ENV?

I agree that the patch should not be removed, since it appears that it
is necessary for NetBSD. The reference to /usr/local is definitely wrong
for my Panther systems, so maybe a revised patch-aj should eliminate
that, as well.