Subject: Re: Overhauling PLIST command set
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2005 23:20:02
On 10/29/05, Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> In article <6b2d1e190510291228ned11ee4gc2ff28cc5f07b89d@mail.gmail.com> J=
ulio wrote:
> : On 10/28/05, Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org> wrote:
> : > @dir
> : > Directory owned by a package.  Replaces @dirrm (and @exec ${MKDIR}).
> : >
> : > @shareddir
> : > Directory used by multiple packages.  The first package installed
> : > using it creates it, last one deinstalled removes it (probably using
> : > the refcount framework).  Replaces @unexec ${RMDIR} (and @exec ${MKDI=
R}).

> : I like this but... do we really need to differentiate between the two t=
ypes of
> : directories?  I think we should treat them all as shareddir for
> : simplicity and to
> : avoid a lot of extra logic in pkgsrc to explicitly handle shareddirs.
>
>   I think it's a useful error check: if the directory is not shared,
> it has to be empty when it's removed during pkg_delete.

CHECK_FILES is much more useful than that.  We should make this feature wor=
perfectly (if it doesn't already) and enable it by default.=20
Furthermore, we also
have the bulk builds to detect orphaned files.

Sincerely, I don't think it's worth the effort to keep the distinction
in the PLISTs.
It means much more complexity in some packages (e.g., GNOME) that could
simply go away.  I'd certainly want to see the *-dirs packages nuked from t=
he
face of Earth in favour of something cleaner, simpler and easier.  (jlam@ h=
as
several thoughts on this.)