Subject: Re: PKGREVISION
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2005 15:00:52
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > > Does anyone have a problem with this change? Or with my decision of
> > > making it an error instead of a warning? After all, this variable is
> > > meant to be set per individual package, isn't it?
> >
> > This one is absolutely correct.  I had swept pkgsrc many months ago to
> > fix this at the time, but this error continue to crop up again and again.
>
> That should be a very strong hint to everyone that there's something
> fundamentally wrong with the idea of forcing all the users of a shared
> Makefile.common to have their own unique PKGREVISION setting.

No, that is by design.

> For example sometimes, maybe even very often, the need to bump the
> revision is due to a change that's common to (i.e. affects) all those
> packages which share a Makefile.common and now with this nonsensical
> rule they _all_ _MUST_ have their PKGREVISION values updated
> simultaneously, which is more work, more error prone, and all really for
> no good reason.

Actually, a very common bump of packages of this type comes from dependency
ABI changes, which usually affects only one of the Makefile.common-using
packages, not all of them.  Last I checked, when I swept out the
common-based PKGREVISION, at least three fourths of the PKGREVISIONs were
divergent among such packages.

And anyway, we have scripts specifically to handle both cases.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>