Subject: traffic matrix package?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/26/2005 10:50:38
Is there any package that will construct a traffic matrix?  Ntop is
telling me that there is traffic to strange and wondrous places, but I
don't know which hosts are talking to them, or over what ports.  (Maybe
ntop can do this, but if so I haven't figured out how to make it
display it.)

More precisely -- I have a small (Soekris) NetBSD box with three
bridged interfaces, one of which leads to the outside world.  I'd like
to run some package that could monitor traffic on that third interface
and produce a matrix showing which hosts are talking to which.

Generating data in NetFlow format is probably ideal, since there are
lots of tools to manipulate that.  I see nprobe in pkgsrc, but its
availability terms are, well, unusual.  The package is also quite old;
it's version 1.3.1 from 2002.  4.0 is the current version.