Subject: NetBSD packages and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/25/2005 11:43:03
Hi,

recently I got complaints from users who called native NetBSD
applications from Matlab's shell exit and saw them fail. When I
investigated I found that those applications (typically of the more
complex variant, like XEmacs or Firefox) tend to pick up Linux shared
libraries. The environment that Matlab sets up for a shell exit
contains

>>  !echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/matlabr14/sys/os/glnx86:/opt/matlabr14/bin/glnx86:/opt/matlabr14/extern/lib/glnx86:/opt/matlabr14/sys/java/jre/glnx86/jre1.5.0/lib/i386/native_threads:/opt/matlabr14/sys/java/jre/glnx86/jre1.5.0/lib/i386/client:/opt/matlabr14/sys/java/jre/glnx86/jre1.5.0/lib/i386

which apparently is enough to confuse said applications. A wrapper
script that unsets LD_LIBRARY_PATH successfully works around this;
but it adds to the perception that NetBSD "always has to be a bit
more complicated".

Since NetBSD considers LD_LIBRARY_PATH deprecated for ELF binaries:
Is there a way of globally keeping native binaries from looking at
LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik