Subject: Re: gnome 2.12.1 build fails (amd64+i386)
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Anders Lindgren <ali@df.lth.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/24/2005 12:59:01
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> I'm afraid that most of your problems come from the mixture of different
> versions of GCC.  I don't know if those two (3.3.3 and 3.4.4) are binary
> incompatible, but they could be...

   Yes, I suspect the bug-buddy case is due to mixing compilers, since the
breakage pops up in libstdc++ -- ok, I am biased against C++ as such
because it always likes to break, but at least I'm biased precisely
_because_ the G++ ABI has changed so much between minor GCC version
between 3.0 and 3.3. :-)

   The first error (graphics/cairo) happens with all previous dependencies
having been built with pkgsrc gcc 3.4.4 though, so there shouldn't be any
compiler mixture in that case. The other problems with packages failing to
build as dependencies but succeeding when built individually, happens
regardless of compiler -- it happens on the i386 too, where everything was
built with the base 3.3.3 compiler, for the same packages too. I've seen
it with other packages too, occassionally.

> Your safest bet is to rebuild everything, preferably using the
> compiler in the base system to make sure it is not the cause of the
> problems.

   Yes, I suspect I will have to do that. On i386 with base gcc 3.3.3 I can
successfully build gnome; gcc 3.4.4 has a bunch of new athlon64
optimizations not present in 3.3.3, and most of gnome builds fine with it
(including beasts such as firefox 1.0.7), so I was hoping it would be
possible to use 3.4.4 exclusively on the amd64, but apparently it's not
possible -- at least not for now.

   Oh well, at least the amd64 compiles madly fast comparing to the
Pentium3.. :-)

Regards,
ali:)