Subject: Re: make deinstall or pkg_del
To: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/14/2005 19:04:30
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, George Georgalis wrote:

> I recently tried to pkgsrc make install conflicting packages,
> other than the requirement to cd to the pkgsrc dir for deinstall,
> is there any difference between make deinstall or pkg_del?
>
> Will someone detail a bit what's going on with those commands?
> (I did get my package in place, BTW)

pkg_delete makes sure other packages do not depend on it -- looks at
+REQUIRED_BY file.

pkg_delete deletes the files as listed in the +CONTENTS file (under
/var/db/pkg/).

Runs the deinstallation commands listed in +CONTENTS file.

Runs the +DEINSTALL script (if any).

Cleans up the /var/db/pkg/.

The make "deinstall" target runs the pkg_delete as teh superuser (via
SU_CMD).

And it deletes the .install_done cookie from work directory.

That is basically it.

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/