Subject: Re: pkgsrc vs. Fink vs. DarwinPorts?
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/12/2005 09:38:01
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Malcolm Herbert wrote:

> ... OK, that's the CVS side of things, but if I'm using just
> pre-built binary packages, would it be a problem?

It depends on the package.  ISTR at least three different packages that had
to be hacked a bit to work sanely under Cygwin, but the problems all had to
do with traversing directory trees.  Unfortunately I can't remember what
they were.

As a general rule, I think it's safe to say that only packages that do lots
of pathname lookups (perhaps archivers, fs tools, or things like that) may
or may not have problems.  The only thing that makes it unknown is the fact
that no one has tested them to be sure.  Wanna volunteer?  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>