Subject: karbon problem
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/12/2005 15:46:56
I haven't had an time to look at this so I'll put it out here in case any of
you have ideas.

karbon (from koffice) currently fails to start on NetBSD with this error:

city-art% karbon
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: Undefined symbol "init_libkarbonpart"
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: The library libkarbonpart does not offer an
init_libkarbonpart function.
koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: The library libkarbonpart does not offer
an init_libkarbonpart function.

The same problem apparently existed on OpenBSD, from where Marc Espie
reported:

  Basically, our ld.so (and I suppose NetBSD's) doesn't keep a tree of
  dlopened object.

  The libkarbonpart.so is linked to parts of karbon, to save space between the
  basic applications and plugins, and init_libkarbonpart is in one of those
  linked libraries.

  But dlopen(libkarbon.part.so) + dlsym(init_libkarbonpart) won't find its
  symbol on OpenBSD...

Looks like OpenBSD fixed their ld.so to deal with this a few weeks ago but
inside ld.so is not somewhere that I'll lightly tread.

cheers
mark