Subject: Re: should executables be installed as stripped binaries?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/10/2005 09:27:46
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Todd Vierling wrote:

> > .if !empty(CC_VERSION:Mgcc*)
> > # and maybe have an option to say to use _STRIPFLAG_CC ??
> > CFLAGS+=       ${_STRIPFLAG_CC}
> > .endif
>
> That belongs squarely in LDFLAGS, not CFLAGS.  Packages not respecting
> LDFLAGS should be fixed, as there are other reasons to add things to LDFLAGS
> in the user's mk.conf.

Actually, I take that back.  It [ideally] belongs in neither CFLAGS nor
LDFLAGS.  Though LDFLAGS is a semi-acceptable alternative.

If a package is not using the INSTALL_* macros to install files, it is
broken.  (Otherwise, what is the point of having BINOWN/BINGRP/etc.?)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>